XRoar - Dragon & CoCo emulator
XRoar is a Dragon emulator for Linux, Unix, Mac OS X and Windows. Due to hardware similarities, XRoar also emulates the Tandy Colour Computer (CoCo) models 1 & 2. More features.
Source code version 0.34.7, released 2017-01-02: xroar-0.34.7.tar.gz. Older versions.
Debian snapshot builds of this and other software are available for
amd64 and i386 architectures. Add the following lines to your
apt-get update, then
apt-get install xroar.
deb http://www.6809.org.uk/debian testing main deb-src http://www.6809.org.uk/debian testing main
Ubuntu snapshot builds of this and other software are available in this PPA on Launchpad.
Windows binaries built using MinGW: 64-bit Windows, 32-bit Windows
Mac OS X packages (old): Mac OS X 10.6+ (Intel), Mac OS X 10.4
git clone http://www.6809.org.uk/git/xroar.git
Older builds: Nintendo DS, GP32
The manual is available in these formats: PDF and HTML. See Getting started for a quick guide to running XRoar. See Building from source for instructions on building from source.
Firmware ROM images are required to usefully run this emulator. If you have difficulty extracting these from your real Dragon or CoCo, dumps may be available from the Dragon Archive.
asm6809 is a 6809 assembler that can generate machine code to run on the Dragon.
Want a Dragon in your browser? Here's a limited but functional Flash version of XRoar. Needs Flash 10 and a pretty fast computer.
Notes for version 0.34
- SDL2 support
- NTSC filtering renderer: -ccr simulated (note: slower than 5bit)
- Add cross-colour rendering menu to GUI
- PAL-M magenta-green artifacting supported with -ccr simulated
- Initial IDE code [Alan Cox]
Fixes in version 0.34.7
- Worked around initialisation bug in GCC 4
- Worked around accept() and recv() seemingly not being cancellation points in MinGW pthreads (XRoar failed to shut down if GDB was attached)
- Fix building without GDB stub support [Stefan Haubenthal]
- Fix SDL1.2 build from tar.gz [Stefan Haubenthal]
- Fix MPI with DOS attached [pser1]
- Pass FIRQ through MPI correctly [pser1]
- Fix buffer overrun in VDG code [Alastair]
- Fix GDB write watchpoints
- Documentation fixes
For full version information, see the ChangeLog.
- Frame rate issues. Potential fixes in snapshot builds.
- Build of latest version for Mac OS X confirmed broken. Nothing to test on, so fix may be a while coming.
- 6309 NitrOS-9 Level 1 fails to boot. Apparent data corruption in 6309 code.
License: GNU GPL version 2 or later <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html>.
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
Binary packages may be linked against SDL and/or libsndfile.
- Local copy of SDL source code: SDL2-2.0.4.tar.gz.
- Local copy of libsndfile source code: libsndfile-1.0.27.tar.gz.
Android APK: xroar-0.31.1-1.apk
Android port contributed by Tormod Volden. For more information see its readme.txt. For patches, etc., check out Tormod's website.
CrashSerious has ported version 0.24 to the PS3. Download the PS3roar binary, or clone the PS3roar git repository. There's an announcement page with discussion here.
drHirudo has ported XRoar to AmigaOS 4 (!), available here.
Stefan Haubenthal has uploaded a build for MorphOS to aminet.
ZX-81 has ported version 0.19 to the Sony PSP and GP2X handhelds. Check for "Tandy Coco" in the list of categories on ZX-81's web site.
Ron from DCEmu started a port to the Dreamcast called DragonDC. The last post about it I can find was from the 12th April 2007.
MESS, the "Multiple Emulator Super System", emulates a variety of old computer hardware, Dragon included. Source available.
T3 and PC-Dragon, two DOS-only emulators written by Paul Burgin. Source code is available for PC-Dragon, but redistribution of modified copies (of the source) is not permitted, amongst other restrictions. T3 is closed source.
Vcc, a Windows-only CoCo 3 emulator. Does not emulate CoCo 1/2 (beyond what compatibility a CoCo 3 had) or Dragon. Recently open-sourced (August 2015), though at time of writing there's no easy way to clone the entire project at once.