evilwm - we sold our souls to the window manager
evilwm is a minimalist window manager for the X Window System. Some features:
- No title bar, no icons.
- Simple single-pixel (configurable) border.
- Good keyboard control, including monitor-aware repositioning and maximise toggles.
- Reasonable EWMH support.
- Virtual desktops.
- Configuration file read on startup.
Source code version 1.3.0, released 2021-07-16: evilwm-1.3.0.tar.gz. Other downloads.
Debian snapshot builds are available in the Apt repository.
Ubuntu snapshot builds are available in this PPA on Launchpad.
git clone https://www.6809.org.uk/git/evilwm.git
NetBSD packages are available in pkgsrc.
The manual is available in these formats: PDF, HTML and plain text. See the installation guide for instructions on building from source and starting evilwm.
Notes for version 1.3
Finally, multi-monitor support when RandR >= 1.5 is present.
- Add EWMH 1.5 _NET_WM_STATE_FOCUSED support.
- Add basic multi-monitor support when RandR >= 1.5 available.
- Remove border when window is maximised (useful for multi-monitor).
- Set _NET_FRAME_EXTENTS whenever relevant.
- Add new -wholescreen option to reinstate old behaviour of treating screen as one large display.
- Remove -DVWM build option. User can run with -numvdesks 1 if necessary.
For version change history, see the ChangeLog.
[n] - reported by, [by n] - contributed by, [with n] - developed with.
License: evilwm was originally based on aewm, so it is distributed under the same terms. Check the manual for details. In short: free software, keep some notices intact.